Monday, December 17, 2007

Making Eclipse Newsgroups More Effective

As long as I've used Eclipse, I've found the newsgroups to be a great source of information and probably the best source of documentation outside the included help docs. However, I've always found it hard to find information in the platform newsgroup. The problem is that it has turned into a kind of catch-all for Eclipse users, plugin developers, jface developers, etc. This makes it really hard when you are searching for something on a topic from a particular point of view. A few months ago, I filed this bug to request a change. My proposal is to try to organize the information as follows:

platform.users
platform.pluginDev
platform.jface
...
In order to get some support for this change, I meant to post back then (really, I did). It was brought back to my attention by a comment on the bug, so I thought this would be a good time to see if any other in the community have the same feelings. If not, I'll just have to get better at searching;)

No comments: